Pie for breakfast, you say? Why not? This whole wheat galette is filled with potatoes, peppers, bacon, and mozzarella, then topped with an egg, chives, and a good dose of hot sauce.
Make it your own and add extra veggies, different sauce, throw it on pizza dough instead of pie dough, whatever you please. Just use this post as a hint of inspiration for when you're feeling like having pie for breakfast (which we know is far too often).
Whole Wheat Breakfast Galette
For the pie dough...
1 1/8 Cup whole wheat flour
1/8 Cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 Cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
1/8 Cup ice water, plus more if needed
1. Combine whole wheat flour, brown sugar, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Use a pastry cutter to cut the butter in until mixture is crumbly and no pieces of butter are larger than peas. Pour the ice water over the dough and mix with a wooden spoon or a spatula until the dough comes together. If the dough isn't coming together, add more ice water 1 Tbsp at a time. Pat the dough into a ball, wrap it in saran wrap, and refrigerate for at least one hour or over night.
For the filling...
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Small new potatoes, sliced into thin rounds
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 Cup shredded mozzarella
3 Pieces cooked bacon, chopped
1 large egg, cracked into a small bowl or ramekin
salt and pepper to taste
Sliced chives to garnish
Hot Sauce to finish
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In a skillet, heat your olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the bell peppers and continue to saute for 3-4 more minutes. Once potatoes are fork tender, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
2. Roll your pie dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 12" x 12" round. Transfer it onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over the galette. Fold the edges of the dough, 1-2", over the filling, encasing some of the cheese in the crust. Arrange your potatoes, peppers, and bacon all around the galette. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Bake for 15 minutes. After the first 15, remove the pan from the oven, and carefully transfer your egg into the center. Bake for another 10 minutes. The crust should be golden brown and the egg should be cooked through with a soft yolk.
4. Top with chives, and hot sauce, slice and serve while warm!